How to format a MICR line for Canadian Checks
A Canadian check MICR line is separated into three sections with different subsections for the Check Number, Transit Number and Account Number fields.
In your instance, the Transit Number (middle section) is the same as your Routing Number.
To Format the MICR Line:
- Go to Cash Management from the top navigation bar.
- Select Open Setup.
- Select Checking Accounts.
- Locate the Checking Account that the checks are coming out of and click Edit.
- On the Details tab - Fill in the Account Number
- Add dashes to where you want the separations (For the two examples above, the Account Number would be 123-456-78 or 1574-620)
- On the Details tab - Fill in the Routing Number field for the Transit Number
- Add dashes to where you want the separations (For the two examples above, the Routing Number would be 12345-678 or 85432-884)
- Select the Check Printing tab to adjust the MICR section
- Adjust the Check number length if needed
- Go back and View the Checking Account.
- Select the Check Printing Tab.
- Under the 'Print Settings' section, click Print Test Check to view and double check.