From changes to ownership to merges, companies are always changing their names. The important thing is to keep up with our client's changes and make sure we keep an effective way of tracking their history.
Sage has a built in function called the Number Changer. In this article we will be looking at AR Customer Number Change in particular. This functionality will look through the Sage tables and will change a customer's identification code from the old code to a new one. You can also use this function to merge two companies together. This is useful if you happen to create a brand new customer in sage when your current customer changed name. Once the original company and the new company merges together, there is a clear history for your client, under their new company name.
Once the AR Customer Number Change module is installed and activated (from Administrative Services), it resides under the main AR module. The following are instructions on how to use this module to change an existing AR Customer, or merge two customers numbers together.
- Make sure you are the only user logged into Sage. Navigate to Help-Current Users, and make sure there are no other users in your system.
- Back up your database and do a Database Dump (How to Backup using the DB Dump Function)
- From AR menu select Customer Number Change
- Press the New button
- In the Action window there are three choices of CHANGE, COMBINE, or COPY. If you want to change the customer number, select CHANGE and follow to step 6. If you want to merge two customers together, select COMBINE at this stage and skip to step 7 on this article.
- Selecting CHANGE will bring up two sections: The top section is titled 'Change'. Select the customer you would like to make change to. The second section is titled 'To'. Put the new customer number in this section. This action will change all the documents associated with the original customer number, into the new customer number. The old customer number will no longer exist in your system.
- Selecting COMBINE will bring up two sections: The top section is titled 'Combine'. Put the old Customer number here. The second section is titled 'Into'. Put the new customer number in this section. This action will merge all the documents associated with the old customer number, into the new customer number. The old customer number will no longer exist in your system.
- Press OK
- Then from the main window press POST
- There will be a warning asking you that you should make a backup of your system before preceding. Press OK.
- The system will now go through the tables and it will make the appropriate changes.
There is a similar function for AP Vendors Vendor Number Change