The payroll tax update 7.2E for Sage 300 was released in June and should be installed and activated before running the first payroll in July. This update will run with Payroll 7.2 only, although that version of payroll is compatible with Sage 300 versions 2012, 2014, and 2016. There are a couple of key changes with respect to this payroll update and some new features as well:
1) This is the first payroll update that will not install successfully unless the latest product update is installed. Click on Help / System Information to check on which version and update is installed.
The most recent product updates are:
- Version 2012 PU6
- Version 2014 PU4
- Version 2016 PU1
2) When the update 7.2E is installed on version 2016 of Sage 300, it automatically registers the new payroll files, so that the Regacc.exe utility does not need to be run after the installation. On versions 2012 and 2014, this automatic registration does not happen, so the Regacc.exe utility should still be run.
3) Payroll tax update 7.2E contains updated tax processing for British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.
4) Once installed, the payroll tax update must be activated immediately. Sage identifies that the update has been installed, and disables all modules that integrate with payroll until the update is activated. Backup the database before activation, and logon to Sage as ADMIN. Go to Administrative Services / Data Activation to activate the 7.2E update. Note: the progress bar shows the percent complete during activation. It will go well beyond 100% to 130 or even 160%. Although a bit odd, this is the 'Sage Normal' and it need not be alarming.
5) There is a new field called 'Prenote Status' on the EFT tab of the Employee record. At the time of activation of 7.2E, the status of this field for all employees is automatically set to 'Approved'. However, when a new employee is added, the default status for this field is 'Not Sent'.
When the prenote status is set to 'Not Sent' a test EFT file (with zero dollar values) can be sent to the bank to ensure the accuracy of all banking information entered. Go to Canadian Payroll / Payroll Transactions / Generate EFT File and select 'Test' as the EFT File Type. Generate the file and send to the bank for them to review. This process will change the Prenote Status for all employees within the Test EFT file from 'Not Sent' to 'Pending' automatically. When confirmation is received from the bank that all records are accurate, the status must be changed manually from 'Pending' to 'Approved' in order for the EFT function to work for the employee. This field is effective to ensure the banking information is correct for each employee before the payroll is run and possibly rejected by the bank.
It is possible to manually set the prenote status to 'Approved' without sending a test EFT file to the bank. In this case, a warning will appear:
Note that no EFT will be generated for any employee whose prenote status is not set to 'Approved'.
6) There is a new information file located in Payroll Setup / Options on the Company tab. This field indicates the current number of Active Employees for quick reference.